Posted By: Rebecca van der Zalm in Container Gardening
Cool and Crisp Fall Container Recipe
This recipe features a cool and crisp planting plant for late summer or early Fall. Fall containers are fluid and fleeting. Plant them with interchangeable parts. Don't worry so much about longevity. You can take out and replace plants as they finish for the season. With that said, this one should be looking great right until the hard frosts show up in November or December. We're not going to talk so much about specific varieties as we are planting concepts. Feel free to visit us and pick out the plants you like that fit the general feel of the design.
This planting plan uses 10 easy to source plants and makes use of the traditional Thriller, Filler and Spiller planting plan. Thrillers are the larger, more dominant components that grab attention and say 'look at me!'. Fillers are used to compliment the Thriller and provide body and substance to the design. Spillers dangle over the sides of the pot to soften the lines between the hard container and the soft plants. Most designs use odd numbers of plants - but this one breaks the rules using only 10. If you really want to be odd, add another Pansy if you wish :)
Plant them in your pot using the diagram below as a guideline. Feel free to adjust it to your specific pot or preference.
- A. Thriller - An Icy Blue Conifer (Lawson Cypress, Blue Spruce or something similar) Its positioned at the back instead of the centre
- B. Filler - Silvery Toned Heuchera (so many to choose from!)
- C. Filler - Shasta Daisy (big white blooms)
- D. Filler - Bud Blooming Heathers x2 (A Green and White/Pink Variety, great long lasting flower buds on interesting foliage)
- E. Spiller - Donkey Tail Spurge ( A great architectural look for the sides of pots)
- F. Spiller - Carex Evergold (Evergold Sedge or similar)
- G. Filler - Winter Pansies x3 (Blue/Purple Toned)
Ready to plant one up yourself? All of these plants and many more similar ones are available at Arts Nursery in the late summer and early fall. If you don't feel like making one yourself, get our experienced staff to make it for you! Call or visit for more details